3 Signs You May Have An Electrical Problem In Your Home

Electrical problems in the home are more common than you think. These electrical issues can lead to dangerous situations and possibly even death. To protect your home and yourself, Bizzy B Plumbing & Home Improvement has certified electricians to work in your home and business to correct and prevent electrical problems from becoming hazardous. New homes and older homes all have issues. Electrical issues can be simple or very complex. Protect yourself by seeing the warning signs. Knowing what these signs are can help you make repairs and prevent a dangerous situation that might lead to electrocution or property damage. You may be tempted to troubleshoot some of these electrical issues yourself, but electrical problems will need professional diagnosis and repair to maintain code and safety standards. Below are some signs and areas you should watch for electrical issues.circuit_breaker

1. Circuit breakers are designed to trip when a circuit is overloaded. By shutting off the electrical supply. This process prevents wires from overheating and potentially starting a fire. Breakers can also trip when they become old and worn out. Occasional tripping can indicate simple overloads. Simple overloads are easily fixed by moving the appliance or item causing the overload to another outlet on a different breaker.  If a breaker trips frequently, you should call us for an evaluation.

2. Electrical panels are the heart of your homes electrical system. Working inside an electrical panel requires skill. Even when the main breaker is shut off, power is still entering the panel. Leave this type of work to an Bizzy B electrician.Federal Pacific Stab-lok Never replace a circuit breaker or fuse with a higher rated one because this can cause overheating and fire. For homes dating from the 1950s to 1990, check your panel to see whether it or the breakers are manufactured by Federal Pacific. The company’s Stab-Lok brand breakers are not considered safe. You should have these replaced asap. Call us to get a certified electrician to check your panel and quote a replacement.

3. Shock, Heat, Flickering lights, Smoke, and Sparks. These are all signs of electrical issues you can see, feel, and smell.

  • If you feel a tingle or strong shock when touching an appliance, you probably have a ground fault in the appliance or improper wiring in your home. These will not feel the same as a shock from static in the home, but more pronounced and stronger.  You should call us if these situations are present in your home.
  • You should occasionally check the area around your ceiling light fixtures for temperature. This is because not all fixtures are well insulated, especially if you exceed the maximum recommended wattage bulb for the fixture. The fixture can overheat, and too much heat buildup could cause a fire hazard. Switching to LED bulbs provide one solution because these bulbs do not produce as much heat as incandescent bulbs and use much less electricity.
  • Flickering lights may be a sign of a defective or loose light bulb. If you try new light bulbs to no avail it could be a wiring issue. Give us a call to check it out. The fault may be in the light fixture connections, or the wiring in your electrical panel may be loose.
  • If you have light switches or receptacles that work occasionally, the wiring may be loose or it may be defective internally. You will need to have your wiring inspected to determine whether any loose connections are present, and you will need any defective devices replaced.
  • If you notice a burning odor coming from any outlets or switches, turn the power off at the electrical panel. Call us asap as this can something simple or it can be a big problem. The problem may be a faulty device, but it could also be a wiring or overload problem. A burning smell is a serious issue because it could indicate the start of an electrical fire. Receptacles or connected electrical cords that are warm to the touch are also a sign of an electrical problem. Do not use the receptacle until the situation has been repaired.
  • Occasional sparks when you first plug in an appliance are not unusual. Sparks that are large and or happen frequently indicates a problem with your outlet or the circuit. If you hear a popping sound, it may signal that a wire may be loose. Locating the loose wire in a circuit is not always easy. Diagnosing and repairing problems should be done be a licensed professional. For your safety and that of your home, you should consult a qualified electrician from Bizzy B Plumbing & Home Improvement. We can help you and your home “B” safe from electrical dangers.
This entry was posted in Home Improvement, Knoxville Electricians, Knoxville Home Improvement and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.