Big box home improvement stores in Knoxville and Maryville are very useful for even the most inexperienced of homeowners. They give you the ability to make your own repairs. On the other hand, big box home improvement stores can be terrible because it gives you the ability to make your own repairs.
Professional home inspectors are taught that water/moisture and termites are the number one enemy to homes. This is not the case. Experienced professional home inspectors learn quickly that a homeowner is the number one enemy to their home. Time after time the most dangerous issues detected in home inspections are the result of the homeowner attempting a repair.
But we have found that some of the blame should be passed on to the big box home improvement stores for offering homeowners repair and replacement products that are dangerous and not up to local building codes.
Here are 3 things you should never purchase from a home improvement or hardware store.
1. Double keyed deadbolts.
- Even though these are sometimes advised for use by security companies for added security, they can be a fire safety hazard. Because you need a key to lock and unlock from both inside and outside the extra time in an emergency can be fatal. If a fire was to happen in your home and smoke fills the air, it can be very difficult to locate the keys and make it back to unlock the door before being overcome by the smoke.
2. Screened and or Plastic dryer vents.
- It is troublesome that these items are still being sold. Lint is flammable! When screens are installed on the dryer vent, it creates a hazard. Building codes in Knoxville and Maryville are clear on this, no screens are allowed on the dryer vent end or termination. If your home has one, call us asap to have it replaced.
- Dryer vent safety is not something to take lightly. The CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) estimates that over 15,000 dryer fires are take place every year. A plastic dryer vent will quickly melt and allow the flame to spread through out the home and outside walls.
- Even though metal dryer vents will not stop the fire from spreading, they do allow more time to detect, evacuate, and extinguish the fire. Plastic dryer vents have no place in a home. If you have any of these issues Bizzy B Plumbing & Home Improvement can “B” there for you. We will fix it correctly and safely.
3. Corrugated plumbing. (this is just ridiculous)
- When you are frustrated with a tough DIY (do it yourself) plumbing repair, you may be tempted to purchase some flexible, corrugated, accordion like plumbing materials. Do not be tempted.
- This type of plumbing is not approved for your home’s drainage system. It has absolutely no use in the home. To make matters worse, most homeowners install it in a way that does not create a proper drain trap.
- Drain traps prevent smelly, dangerous gas from the sewer from entering your home, so installing this type of plumbing can be a real safety concern. Call us, as we are certified and experienced in plumbing of all types. We can fix the issues you are having faster, and less expensive than you think.