Most of us in East Tennessee do not like to live in the dark. You can save money on your electric bills and be informed with these 3 tips for Knoxville and the surrounding area. If you would like to implement any of these tips, give Bizzy B Plumbing & Home improvement a call. Let us “B” there for you.
1. Kill the Vampires:
- You should plug many of your devices into a power strip so that you can turn off when not in use. This is a good choice for mobile device chargers that are commonly left plugged in. Use a switched outlet or power strip for computers, monitors, printers, DVRs, cable boxes, and more to save when you are not using them.
2. Make the switch to LED (Light Emitting Diode) lights:
- Substituting LED bulbs in your light fixtures is a great way to lower your monthly electric bill. You should know that incandescent bulbs are not energy efficient. LED bulbs provide 80 percent more efficiency than incandescent lighting. Don’t be shocked by the price of an LED bulb when comparing it to your regular incandescent. Check the numbers in the charts below. LED lighting uses less electricity and can save you thousands over time. Bizzy B Plumbing & Home Improvement can help you with the switch to LED lighting if you need us to “B” there for you.
Cost Comparison between light bulbs
LED CFL Incandescent
Light bulb projected lifespan
Watts per bulb (equiv. 60 watts)
Cost per bulb
Kilowatt-hours of electricity used over 50,000 hours
Cost of electricity (@ 0.10per KWh)
Bulbs needed for 50k hours of use
Equivalent 50k hours bulb expense
Total cost for 50k hours
Energy Savings over 50,000 hours, assuming 25 bulbs per household.
Total cost for 25 bulbs
Savings to household by switching
Source: Comparison chart data from Eartheasy.com
3. Add motion sensors or optic sensors for lighting:
- Motion and or light sensors can help reduce your electric bill. In addition to using LED lighting, automatic systems can help avoid wasting light energy when you are not using it. You may be familiar with automatic night light fixtures that only turn on when the room is dark. You can even have outdoor lighting that is solar-powered, which saves another addition on your electric bill.
- Some motion-sensing devices are built into light switches like the one shown here, but you should have this type of switch professionally installed by Bizzy B Plumbing & Home Improvement for the best results. The device will shut the light off after no motion has been detected for a set time, which can be convenient for bedroom, bathroom, closet, and kitchen light fixtures.
- Dimmer switches are another choice for reducing energy consumption. You should have a Bizzy B Plumbing & Home Improvement electrician install dimmer switches for the best results.